- AIIMS Patna is the vision of the Hon’ble ex-Prime minister Shri Atal Bihari Vajpayee who decided to give to the nation six regional AIIMS with the mandate to provide the most modern healthcare to the last man in the queue at affordable cost.
- AIIMS Patna was created by the ordinance dated 16th July, 2012 and then the Act (Amendment), 2012 on 2nd July, 2013.
- In all, 6 new AIIMS have been created and taken care by the PMSSY (Prime Minister Swasthya Surakhsa Yojana).
- The work started in 2010 with construction in six packages by the Project Monitoring Unit of the MoHFW and is referred to as AIIMS project. The project management at individual sites was done by a Superintending Engineer on behalf of the MoHFW, the DPR consultant, the project consultant and the contractors till date.
- Recruitment of faculty for all six AIIMS was undertaken by the MoHFW being coordinated by AIIMS Patna from November, 2011 which processed six thousand five hundred online applications for 546 posts in Six New AIIMS by September 30th 2012. The institute is also in the process of recruiting more faculty and starting new departments.
- The Hospital is well developed now, catering to approximately 1500 outpatients per day, with each department having its own OPD block area, running 3 major state of the art semi-modular operation theaters, and two minor operation theaters, in all performing more than 250 surgeries per month. It runs round the clock laboratory and has world class radiology with CT, MRI, Biplane DSA, Digital mammography, digital radiography, ultrasound with color Doppler facilities.
- The institute also has a telemedicine program called Chhattisa, a community outreach program which has conducted more than 100 health camps.
- The medical college is a fully functional central air conditioned building with WiFi and has the various teaching departments along with their teaching and research laboratories.
Five MBBS batches, each with 1oo students (barring the first which had 50 students) have been taken in so far, the first batch now in its internship.
- Nursing college is housed in a separate building, has been taking in 60 BSc nursing students per year, the first batch having completed its course.
- Hostels are available for girls, boys and residents separately (married and unmarried accommodation) with multiple mess and food plaza. All hostels are with WiFi facility.
Recreational facilities have developed over time and now include a world class gymnasium, cricket and football pitches, open playgrounds, badminton courts and indoor games.